Monday 16 July 2007

survival skills for artists

ENTER ARTS: survival skills for artists

Who can take part?
Enter Arts is for artists, who may be at various points in their career, including:
-recent graduates
-returning to work after a career break
-if you would like to refresh your skills in publicising your work and networking in the arts world
-if you are changing your career direction and would like to investigate the possibility of freelance work

Where is the course based?
A day time class at Bilston Craft Gallery, Mount Pleasant, Bilston WV14 7LU
An evening class at Wolverhampton City Learning Quarter, Old Hall Street, Wolverhampton WV1 3AU
T – 01902 558180
E – enquiries@aes.wolverhampton.gov.uk

When does the course take place?
The next run of the course will start on September 18th 2007 and runs for 30 weeks on Tuesdays at either 2-4pm (Bilston Craft Gallery) or 6-8pm (City Learning Quarter).

How can I enrol?
Enrolment takes place On September 4th at the City Learning Quarter. Artists should arrange an informal interview with the course tutor by contacting the Adult Eucation Service via email enquiries@aes.wolverhampton.gov.uk or Tel: 01902 558180.

What qualifications do I need?
Artists taking part in the programme, normally have a degree and/or substantial experience within their own discipline area.

Will I get a qualification if I attend the course?
There is no formal qualification but participants will receive a college certificate on completion of the course.
How much will the course cost?
There will be a £6 registration fee and a course fee of £139.80 based on 30 weeks.
If you are in receipt of benefits you may only have to pay the registration fee.

Course contents:

Weekly sessions will include group activities and seminars, individual tutorials, visits and speakers.

There will also be an opportunity to work alongside other artists to develop and organise a showcase event or exhibition to profile your work.

The following topics will be covered:

· Induction – ways of working in the arts
· Tax and National Insurance for freelance workers
· Working in a community context
· Public art Commissions
· Visits to local artists studios and arts organisations
· Case studies of artist’s projects
· Arts and health
· Costing your work/rates of pay
· Promoting your work
· Building your CV

What can I gain from taking part in this programme?

-links with a network of other artists
-access to a network of key contacts both local and regional
-support and advice on your career direction
-opportunities to showcase and profile your work
-information about opportunities and funding available in the region

Background to the Course

The course has been established in Wolverhampton for more than 10 years. It has been run by Wolverhampton Adult Education Service since 1998. Artists taking part in the course have moved on to develop successful freelance careers/and or moved into employment in the arts. Destinations include – art gallery education work, exhibiting and selling, running workshops in schools, teaching, selling through craft fairs and retail outlets, arts development officers, arts project managers, community arts workers and many more.

Comments from artists who have completed the programme –

Since completing the Enter Arts course in June 2006, I have gone on to exhibit and sell my work extensively across the region, and in December 2006 I went self-employed. I commenced the course shortly after completing my MA and it provided the support I needed to take the next steps in my practice. The course is a great platform for newly established artists and makers to gain a wider understanding of the steps to take to becoming freelance and it also offers the opportunity to meet other local practitioners.

Elena Cassidy-Smith

Being very new in the arts business I found Enter Arts gave me industry specific knowledge in a very unique industry. It gave me confidence and a route map to go out and market my business and my art and network with artists and suppliers. On each session I learnt something new and relevant that I am applying now.
Building on the learning I have had a One Man Show at Coventry Cathedral and with group exhibitions in Birmingham and London my work found recognition being selected for the Arts and Business project “Virtual” and is now in collections in the UK and North America.
John Garghan Enter Arts 2003

I have a more realistic approach and a clearer idea not only about what I want to do but how I could do it.
Ludmilla Hambrook Enter Arts 2006

The course has been relevant and useful, the assignments relevant and practical.
Suzanne Sara Hunt Enter Arts 2006

No comments: